Case Study: North Bristol NHS Trust
North Bristol NHS Trust is the biggest health trust in the south west and one of the largest in the country. It provides hospital-based medical and surgical services to the population of north Bristol, South Gloucestershire and north Somerset.
As part of the Bristol Health Services Plan, North Bristol NHS Trust confirmed the need to change and improve its facilities in order to deliver the best possible healthcare to its patients by building a new state-of-the-art acute hospital at Southmead and transforming Frenchay into a community facility. However, various buildings and services had to be relocated to create a space in the development site for the new Southmead building. This required a major re-design of the Trusts entire communications and IT infrastructure.
NextiraOne has been involved in the project from the outset, providing a continuous range of advice and services: from the initial definition and scoping of the project to the construction and fit-out of the new Data Centre and ultimately the moving in of equipment, services and staff.
NextiraOne is also responsible for designing and implementing all of the IT infrastructure and the internal fit-out, including:
- Air conditioning
- Chilled water-cooling in-row solution
- UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) system
- Fire suppression
- Raised flooring
- Electrical services and standby generator
- Data cabinets and passive infrastructure
- Server infrastructure migration services
- Associated network switching and patching
- Partnership with NextiraOne's highly experienced team, with extensive expertise in complex building projects and data centre implementations effectively provided a Turnkey solution - Partnership with NextiraOne
- Consolidation into one centre removes duplication of services and allows a more efficient utilisation of resources
- Reliability and availability of critical clinical applications and administrative functions - purpose-built facilities provide reduced risk of downtime
- Enhanced security with access control and CCTV
- Reduced carbon footprint, from new technologies built into state-of-the-art data centre
- Operating efficiency and reduced costs
- Data centre and ICT infrastructure design allow it to be future-proof, flexible to new demands as additional applications emerge
- NextiraOne solution facilitates change at the Trust, as functions are moved from Frenchay Hospital to the Southmead site and new applications are added
- Built-in business continuity and disaster recovery
- Capacity to allow the Trust to offer hosting to third parties, generating new revenue streams.